Blockbuster Inc. announced that its BLOCKBUSTER On Demand service is available on more than 100 devices – including Blu-ray Disc (BD) players, televisions, smartphones, DVRs and digital media adapters.
For more information visit: www.blockbuster.com
Unedited press release follows:
BLOCKBUSTER On Demand® Hits Milestone: Now on More than 100 Devices
Additional Blu-ray players, TVs, Mobile Phones and Digital Media Adapters Expand Access to Latest Movies
DALLAS, Nov. 30, 2010 — This month, Blockbuster hit a milestone. Its BLOCKBUSTER On Demand® service is now on more than 100 devices—including Blu-ray players, televisions, smartphones, DVRs and digital media adapters—giving consumers the widest variety of options for instant access to new movies on demand.
“We are thrilled to have reached this milestone. Making our service available on more than 100 devices means we’re bringing BLOCKBUSTER On Demand into more living rooms and to more on-the-go viewers this year, providing our customers with the ability to watch new movies anywhere and any way they want,” said Bruce Anderson, BLOCKBUSTER On Demand’s senior vice president and general manager. “We have many great partners to thank for helping us continue to deliver premium and classic entertainment to our customers in easy and convenient ways. The addition of these devices and our growing list of partners is an example of the confidence these consumer electronics manufacturers find in the BLOCKBUSTER On Demand service.”
BLOCKBUSTER On Demand allows movie enthusiasts to find and watch new movies on the same day they become available on DVD or Blu-ray for no monthly fees, and months or years before the movies become available on certain subscription services. The service is also available on PCs and laptops so that consumers can order their favorite feature films online. Users can even rent or buy movies on one device, such as a smartphone, and watch it another device—like a television or Blu-ray player.
The goal is seamless integration across the different devices, ranging from the entry-level to the high-end.
“By providing access to the newest movies across the widest range of electronic devices, we are helping customers get the movies they want any time, any place, and any way they want it,” Anderson said. “We’ll continue to work with our partners to bring entertainment to the masses in ways that meet their lifestyle needs.”
Recently, the Samsung Galaxy Tab hit stores and is one of the latest devices to offer the BLOCKBUSTER On Demand service. It holds 32GB of expandable storage and the 7-inch screen is perfect for watching movies on the go. Launching the same day, the Samsung Continuum smartphone offers a dual screen “ticker” display allowing users to watch movies uninterrupted while still viewing texts, tweets and emails.
Additionally, several other Samsung devices have recently launched, including Blu-ray players, home theater systems and the Samsung Fascinate smartphone—all offering the BLOCKBUSTER On Demand service. “The partnership between Blockbuster and Samsung brings two top brands in home entertainment together so that movie lovers get instant access to the newest movies on state-of-the-art devices—in their homes or on the go,” Anderson said.
The latest Samsung devices to provide access to BLOCKBUSTER On Demand include:
* Blu-ray Players: BD-C8000, BD-C5900, BD-C6800, BD-C7900
* Home Theater (HT) Systems: C-5930W, C-6900W, C-6600, C-9950W
* Mobile devices: Samsung Fascinate, Samsung Continuum, Samsung Galaxy Tab
In addition, the following devices added support for the BLOCKBUSTER On Demand this month. Specific product details are available at www.blockbuster.com/devices.
* Western Digital’s WD TV® Live Plus™ media player allows users to play digital content from their home network and internet on their television in Full-HD 1080p.
* Funai’s PB750FX1 portable Blu-ray disc player offers 180 degree rotation function and free style LCD display.
* Memorex’s MVBD2535 Blu-ray player offers built-in Wi-Fi access to make streaming movies or music simple and enables users to up convert their standard DVDs to near-HD quality.
* OPPO Blu-ray BDP-93 Blu-ray disc player features high-definition picture and supports BonusVIEW to enable “picture-in-picture” and audio functions for watching commentary while the film is in play.
* Toshiba’s BDX3000 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray player offers DTS® HD Master Audio Essential™ surround sound.
* Already on the market, Western Digital’s TV Live Plus Networked HD media players offer the full-HD 1080p experience and allows you to play media from your home network and the Internet on your TV
About Blockbuster Inc.
Blockbuster Inc. is a leading global provider of rental and retail movie and game entertainment. The company provides customers with convenient access to media entertainment anywhere, any way they want it – whether in-store, by-mail, through vending kiosks or digitally to their homes and mobile devices. With a highly recognized brand and a library of more than 125,000 movie and game titles, Blockbuster leverages its multichannel presence to serve nearly 47 million global customers annually.