For more information visit: www.sandvine.com
Unedited press release follows:
Waterloo, ON; May 14, 2013 –Sandvine, (TSX:SVC) a leading provider of intelligent broadband network solutions for fixed and mobile operators, today released its Internet traffic trends report, entitled “Global Internet Phenomena Report 1H2013”, based on data from a selection of Sandvine’s 200-plus service provider customers spanning North America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Caribbean and Latin America and Asia-Pacific. Sandvine’s Global Internet Phenomena report is published twice a year.
“We predict from this data that 2013 will be the year long-form video will make its move onto mobile networks,” said Dave Caputo, CEO, Sandvine. “The “home roaming” phenomenon, the concept of subscribers voluntarily offloading mobile traffic onto Wi-Fi networks, has continued. This combined with increased consumption of real-time entertainment on mobile networks globally, and the doubling of Netflix traffic on mobile networks in North America, suggests that users are getting comfortable with watching longer form videos on their handheld devices.”
Sandvine’s Global Internet Phenomena Report 1H2013 findings:
Global data usage
• European mobile monthly usage increased 25% to 311MB in just six months
• Skype and other communications applications represent over 7% of traffic in Latin America
• Filesharing applications like BitTorrent continue to lose share in many regions but still account for 30% of traffic on Asia-Pacific fixed access networks
• Tablets and smartphones consume over 20% of all fixed data in North America
Audio and video streaming
• Apple devices (iPads, iPhones, iPods, AppleTVs, and Macs) represent 35%* of all audio and video streaming on North American home networks
• YouTube accounts for over 20% of mobile downstream traffic in North America, Europe and Latin America
• Netflix mobile data usage share doubled in the last 12 months in North America
SMS revenue leakage on a tier-one European network
• For every subscriber on the network, 10 WhatsApp messages are sent and received each day
• 3% of all WhatsApp messages sent include a media file such as a photo or video
“This is the tenth year we have issued the Global Internet Phenomena Report and have witnessed the peak of file sharing, the introduction of Skype and other communication apps and the dominance of online entertainment, namely streaming video,” said Mr. Caputo. “Video continues to be the trend to watch as devices and tablets cater to higher definition content with larger screen sizes enabling the market for longer form video on mobile. World Cup 2014 next June will be the event that shapes the next evolution of streaming video, as we predict it will be the most streamed event to date.”
For more information on Sandvine’s Global Internet Phenomena Report 1H2013 visit us at CTIA, May 21-23 in booth 4720 or www.sandvine.com.
GLOBAL INTERNET PHENOMENA REPORT METHODOLOGY
Sandvine’s Global Internet Phenomena Reports are based on a representative cross-section of Sandvine’s data from a selection of Sandvine’s 200-plus customers spanning North America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Caribbean and Latin America and Asia-Pacific. Data is gathered over a one-month period and is completely subscriber-anonymous. No identifiable information of any kind, including IP addresses are collected during the study. Sandvine’s network equipment analyzes data from an application utilization level and is not content aware.
Sandvine’s network policy control solutions add intelligence to fixed, mobile and converged communications service provider networks to enable services that can increase revenue and reduce network costs. Powered by Sandvine’s Policy Engine and SandScript policy language, Sandvine’s networking equipment performs end-to-end policy control functions including traffic classification, and policy decision and enforcement across the data, control and business planes. Sandvine’s products provide actionable business insight, the ability to deploy new subscriber services and tools to optimize traffic while enhancing subscriber Internet quality of experience.
Sandvine’s network policy control solutions are deployed in more than 200 networks in over 85 countries, serving hundreds of millions of data subscribers worldwide, www.sandvine.com
* Initial press release stated a value of 45%. This has been corrected to 35%.