For more information visit: www.bittorrent.com
Unedited press release follows:
BitTorrent Launches µTorrent 3.0; µChat Beta App
Streaming, remote access and more add a powerful punch to the legendary tiny-but-mighty software
SAN FRANCISCO–BitTorrent, Inc., a leading innovator creating advanced technologies to efficiently move large files across the Internet, today launched µTorrent 3.0, the latest version of the popular software client that makes it easy for users to find, get and play massive files over the Internet.
In addition to µTorrent’s core downloading capabilities, the new software (in beta since April) reveals a bevy of new features. Streaming, also known as progressive downloading, enables people to preview a file long before it’s fully downloaded. Remote access empowers people to access their µTorrent client via a Web interface or from µTorrent’s Android app. Ratings and Comments aggregate the collective wisdom of the community to ensure the quality of torrent downloads. And a new drag-and-drop sending box makes it easy to share personal content, e.g. large smart phone videos and hi-res photos, directly with friends or social networks.
The company also released a beta of a new app called µChat (blog). It enables users of both µTorrent 3.0 and BitTorrent Chrysalis clients to easily communicate with other people from within the software, all leveraging a patent-pending distributed architecture. µChat is ideal for new users looking for help on how to use the software, for enthusiasts to share advanced tips with one another, for community tech support, and for users to recommend/discuss independent artists found in the App Studio. Also, µChat may pose an interesting marketing/social engagement opportunity for independent artists and creators to directly communicate with their fans.
“µTorrent’s popularity lies in its simplicity and power. As a result, we’re very selective in the features and apps we add, focusing on maintaining the lightness and speed our community expects,” said Jordy Berson, µTorrent’s director of product management at BitTorrent Inc. “As more artists embrace BitTorrent technology as a way to distribute large media files to a broad audience, and as personal content file sizes explode, we’re evolving µTorrent to solve modern challenges and enable new use cases to thrive.”
What’s new in µTorrent 3.0?
• Streaming: Watch videos within seconds with progressive downloading – no need to wait for the entire file to download. This feature is especially useful for previewing a file before committing to the full download.
• µTorrent Remote: Start, stop, and monitor torrent downloads on the go. Access the µTorrent client from any Web browser (visit https://remote.utorrent.com/ to sign up), or download the beta of our Android app.
• Ratings and Comments: Ratings enables the collective wisdom of the community to ensure the quality and security of downloaded torrents. Join in and contribute by simply clicking on the ratings or comment buttons in the torrent manager.
• Drag-and-Drop Sending: Easily send massive personal files – e.g. home movies, smart phone videos and hi-res photos – directly from µTorrent. Select a file on your computer, drag it into the µTorrent “Drop files to send” box and µTorrent will create a Web link. Send the link via e-mail, social media post or similar to share your content.
• Simplified UI: Minimize parts of the µTorrent interface with a click. Perfect for anybody who wants a minimal interface, this feature cuts out distractions and focuses on the business of finding and playing content.
• Portable Mode: Run the µTorrent client directly from a USB key and take it anywhere.
• Stability etc.: Under-the-hood improvements including a focus on stability as well as improved Web seeding to add speed and reliability to the process of finding the original source of a single-source file.
• µChat app (beta): Chat with other µTorrent users around the world in real-time by installing this optional app.
µTorrent is a global phenomenon, with versions in 30 languages and over 100 million active monthly users. The software is downloaded on average more than 400,000 times every day.
µTorrent 3.0 screenshots and additional details are available on the BitTorrent blog.
BitTorrent creates advanced, innovative technologies to efficiently move large files across the Internet. The company’s two main products today include the original BitTorrent software and the tiny-but-mighty µTorrent, which combined boast over 100+ million users. BitTorrent is based in San Francisco, Calif. For more information, visit bittorrent.com, and follow on Twitter @bittorrent, or Facebook.