In-Stat announced that high-volume shipments of Blu-ray Disc players, most of which feature network connectivity, are finally making inroads into the broader disc player and recorder market.
According to the statement, by 2013, Blu-ray player shipments will still lag slightly behind the 90 million DVD player unit shipments. However, higher average selling prices will put Blu-ray player revenue at more than 4 times as large as DVD player revenue.
For more information visit: www.in-stat.com
Unedited press release follows:
Blu-ray and Network Connectivity Finally Start Encroaching on DVD in Disc Player/Recorder Market, According to In-Stat
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Jan 25, 2010 High-volume shipments of Blu-ray players, most of which feature network connectivity, are finally making inroads into the broader disc player and recorder market, reports In-Stat (http://www.in-stat.com). By 2013, Blu-ray player shipments will still lag slightly behind the 90 million DVD player unit shipments. However, higher average selling prices will put Blu-ray player revenue at more than 4 times as large as DVD player revenue.
“In North America, significant price drops of Blu-ray players drove unit shipments to triple in 2009,” says Michelle Abraham, In-Stat analyst. “The cost differential between standard definition DVD and Blu-ray is becoming much smaller and new features such as IP/network connectivity are becoming increasingly important. Blu-ray is finally starting to make significant advances market.”
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
• Shipments of network-enabled Blu-ray players/recorders will approach 80 million units by 2013.
• 18% of US survey respondents with at least some interest in purchasing a Blu-ray player cited cost as a barrier.
• Japan dominates the market for Blu-ray recorders. Europe is the largest revenue market for Blu-ray players.
• The key semiconductor providers supporting the Blu-ray and DVD player/recorder market include Broadcom, NEC, MediaTek, Sunplus and Zoran.
The research, “Worldwide Blu-ray and DVD Player/Recorder Market” (#IN1004547ME), covers the worldwide market for DVD players and recorders. It includes:
• Examination of market trends for Blu-ray and standard definition DVD.
• Forecasts of worldwide unit sales, revenue, and average selling prices of standard definition DVD recorders and players, and of Blu-ray recorders and players through 2013.
• Overview of DVD and Blu-ray technology.
• Profiles of major DVD and Blu-ray silicon providers including: Broadcom, ESS Technology, Magnum Semiconductors, Media Tek, NEC, Sigma Designs, Sunplus, and Zoran.
For a free sample of the report and more information, please contact Elaine Potter at: email@example.com or (480) 483-4441
To purchase it online, please visit: http://www.instat.com/catalog/mmcatalogue.asp?id=162
The price is $3,495 (US).
In-Stat’s market intelligence combines technical, market and end-user research and database models to analyze the Mobile Internet and Digital Entertainment ecosystems. Our insights are derived from a deep understanding of technology impacts, nearly 30 years of history in research and consulting, and direct relationships with leading players in each of our core markets. In-Stat provides its research through reports, annual subscriptions, consulting and advisory services to inform critical decisions.