For more information visit: www.createspace.com
Unedited press release follows:
Universal Studios Home Entertainment Extends Its “Vault Series” Offerings, Releasing Several More Notable Titles—Many for the First Time Ever on DVD—via CreateSpace
Special selection of films to be made available on Amazon.com through CreateSpace’s cutting-edge Disc on Demand technology include ‘McHale’s Navy,’ ‘Sometimes a Great Notion,’ ‘It Ain’t Hay,’ ‘Waikiki Wedding’ and more
CHARLESTON, S.C.–CreateSpace, part of the Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) group of companies, today announced an exciting new wave of titles from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. New titles in the “Universal Vault Series” will be released today through CreateSpace’s DVD on Demand technology and available exclusively on Amazon.com. Starring unforgettable screen legends such as Paul Newman, Bing Crosby, Claudette Colbert, Bud Abbott & Lou Costello, Sean Penn and Joe Pesci, these classic and coveted movies will be individually available to movie fans for the first time on DVD.
“We are very pleased to continue our relationship with Universal Studios Home Entertainment in bringing sought-after films from the past to DVD and ensuring that they are widely available to fans and film aficionados,” said Libby Johnson McKee, Managing Director, CreateSpace. “Via our unique on-demand solution, Universal and other studios are bringing a host of classic screen gems to vibrant new life.”
Encompassing a variety of genres and decades of motion-picture history, the new releases include:
* Bluebeard’s Eighth Wife (1938), a classic screwball comedy starring Claudette Colbert and Gary Cooper
* Cool as Ice (1991), starring Vanilla Ice in his motion-picture debut
* Crackers (1984), with Donald Sutherland, Sean Penn, Jack Warden and Christine Baranski
* Here Come the Waves (1944), a musical comedy with the inimitable Bing Crosby and Betty Hutton
* It Ain’t Hay (1943), a rare early film from comedy legends Bud Abbott and Lou Costello
* The Kid Stays in the Picture (2002), a documentary following the rise and fall of legendary Hollywood producer Robert Evans
* McHale’s Navy (1964), a comedy inspired by the popular TV series with Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway
* The Other Side of the Mountain (1975), starring Marilyn Hassett and Beau Bridges
* The Other Side of the Mountain Part II (1978), with Marilyn Hassett and continuing the inspirational story of a critically injured world-class skier
* The Public Eye (1992), starring Joe Pesci, Barbara Hershey and Stanley Tucci
* Scott Joplin (1977), with Billy Dee Williams, Art Carney and Clifton Davis
* The Secret War of Harry Frigg (1968), a rare comedy featuring Paul Newman
* Sometimes a Great Notion (1971), Paul Newman’s directorial debut, also showcasing Henry Fonda and Lee Remick
* Waikiki Holiday (1937), with Bing Crosby, Bob Burns and Martha Raye
* We’re Not Dressing (1934), a classic musical comedy starring Bing Crosby and Carole Lombard along with the incomparable George Burns and Gracie Allen
Other titles currently available as part of the Universal Vault Series include A Bronx Tale, Pure Luck, The Incredible Shrinking Woman, Kitten With a Whip and The List of Adrian Messenger.
The groundbreaking CreateSpace Disc on Demand solution is a high-quality, inventory-free and cost-effective solution for major film studios, since DVDs are manufactured only after a customer places an order. CreateSpace also has the added advantage of distributing a wide range of on-demand content through Amazon.com.
To learn more about CreateSpace and Disc on Demand, visit www.createspace.com.
About Universal Studios Home Entertainment
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group and world-renowned theme parks. Comcast Corporation owns a controlling 51% interest in NBCUniversal, with GE holding a 49% stake.
CreateSpace is a leader in manufacture on-demand services for independent content creators, publishers, film studios and music labels. CreateSpace provides inventory-free, physical distribution of Books, CDs and DVDs on Demand, music downloads via Amazon MP3 and video downloads via Amazon Video On Demand. CreateSpace is a brand of On-Demand Publishing LLC, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN).
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN), a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth’s Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices. Amazon.com and other sellers offer millions of unique new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Books; Movies, Music & Games; Digital Downloads; Electronics & Computers; Home & Garden; Toys, Kids & Baby; Grocery; Apparel, Shoes & Jewelry; Health & Beauty; Sports & Outdoors; and Tools, Auto & Industrial. Amazon Web Services provides Amazon’s developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon’s own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. Kindle, Kindle 3G and Kindle DX are the revolutionary portable readers that wirelessly download books, magazines, newspapers, blogs and personal documents to a crisp, high-resolution electronic ink display that looks and reads like real paper. Kindle 3G and Kindle DX utilize the same 3G wireless technology as advanced cell phones, so users never need to hunt for a Wi-Fi hotspot. Kindle is the #1 bestselling product across the millions of items sold on Amazon.