For more information visit: www.degonline.org
Unedited press release follows:
DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group released today its Third Quarter 2015 Home Entertainment Report compiled by DEG members, tracking sources and retail input.*
Home Entertainment Spending Remains Stable for Third Quarter 2015
Electronic Sell Through Up Double Digits for Both Year to Date and the Quarter
Nearly Two Million 4K UHD TVs Sold Year To Date
November 6, 2015 — Driven by double digit growth in key digital categories, consumer spending on home entertainment remained stable in the third quarter of 2015. Consumers continued to embrace the convenience and accessibility of purchasing and collecting digital content, with studios reaping the higher margins that come from digital sales.
Among the highlights:
• Total U.S. home entertainment spending was nearly $4 billion for the third quarter up slightly, but outpacing the box office value on video release by nearly 13 percentage points.
• Year to date, U.S. home entertainment spending reached $13 billion and was on par for the same period 2014 yet outpacing the box office value on video release by nearly six percentage points.
• Overall electronic sell through (EST) was up 19 percent year to date and 14 percent for the quarter when compared to the same period last year.
• Subscription Video On-Demand (SVOD) also experienced steady growth enjoying a 23 percent rise in the third quarter over the same period last year.
• 4K Ultra HDTV sales were up 494 percent for third quarter with nearly two million sets sold year to date. There are currently 2.8 million U.S. households that have a 4K Ultra HDTV. There are more than 96 million HDTV U.S. households and nearly 80 million households own Blu-ray playback devices.
• UltraViolet continues to grow in the U.S. and 12 additional territories. Worldwide, there are nearly 25 million household UV accounts, with more than 150 million movies and TV shows owned in their UV libraries. (Source: DECE)
If you would like to discuss the DEG’s Third Quarter 2015 Home Entertainment Report, please contact the DEG at 424-248-3809.
*Please note, these numbers are preliminary. Final numbers will be available in late November. Please contact the DEG for an updated version.