According to the statement, on display were the latest Sony 3D BRAVIA TVs and 3D home theatre systems, which showed off two new 3D movies and four 3D stereoscopic gaming titles for PlayStation 3. Additionally, Sony displayed its newest digital camera, the NEX-5, a model that can take panoramic images and display them back in 3D on a 3D BRAVIA TV.
Unedited press release follows:
Future Shop and Sony Canada announce eye-popping new 3DTV content at exclusive event
The 3D revolution continues with full home theatre offerings from Sony and demos by special guest, pro gaming phenom Kevin Garcia
June 09, 2010 @ 05:15PM
Toronto, ON – The 3D TV revolution continues at Future Shop (www.futureshop.ca). Sony Canada (www.sony.ca) teamed up with Canada’s largest retailer to showcase its full suite of 3D products at a press conference and product demo session this afternoon in Toronto. Media and consumers came out in droves to scout out the latest in 3D from Sony at Future Shop’s flagship store in downtown Toronto.
On display were the latest Sony 3D BRAVIA® TVs and 3D home theatre systems, which showed off eye-popping images of two new 3D movies and four 3D stereoscopic gaming titles for PlayStation™ 3. Additionally, Sony displayed their newest digital camera, the NEX-5, a model that can take panoramic images and display them back in 3D on a 3D BRAVIA® TV.
“Today’s 3D event was awesome. I’m blown away by the 3D gaming and entertainment suites offered by Sony at Future Shop,” said Kevin Garcia, professional gamer. “Future Shop is the best place where Canadians can shop for all their gaming and home entertainment needs – I recommend getting it all in 3D.”
Sony brings the complete suite of 3D home entertainment
A number of fantastic 3D-capable home theatre products were being demonstrated to attendees at the Sony 3D event. Below is a recap of what was showcased as well as availability.
Get the ultimate viewing experience with 3D-capable Sony BRAVIA® LCD HDTV models and 3D glasses
· Offer amazing 3D cinematic capabilities that set the bar high for style and technically advance 3D-capable TVs
· Three models are hitting store shelves at the end June, but currently available for pre-order at www.futureshop.ca or www.sonystyle.ca:
o XBR-LX900 – exclusive model only exclusive to Future Shop and Sony Style®
· Use active shutter 3D glasses and High Frame Rate technology to reproduce stunning, full HD 3D images. On the topic of glasses, Sony’s 3D glasses are powerful and stylish for everyone. In addition to adult sizing, there are smaller pairs available in black, pink and blue colours for people with smaller faces
· Some Sony 3D TVs will come with 3D glasses and a built-in transmitter, Sony’s active shutter glasses retail for $149.99 each, and the 3D transmitter for $69.99 (pricing in CDN dollars)
Let the 3D games begin
Good news for gamers: 3D gaming is finally here, thanks to Sony PlayStation™ (PS3). After upgrading the PS3 to be 3D game compatible with a firmware upgrade via the PSN, purchasers of BRAVIA® 3D TVs can download for a limited time for free* the following four 3D stereoscopic PS3 titles:
· Wipeout® HD – full 3D game (not including Wipeout HD Fury)
· MotorStorm® Pacific Rift – Single level 3D demo
· PAIN – three 3D episodes, plus one tutorial in 2D
· Super Stardust™ HD – Full 3D game (excluding DLC)
*PS3 free game experiences (available to download from PlayStation®Store via a voucher code provided to purchasers of Sony 3D BRAVIA sets).
Attendees of the Future Shop-Sony 3D launch event were entertained by the dazzling gaming talents of pro Canadian gamer, Kevin Garcia (game tag: “DARKscorpion”). Some even braved their skills and played one-on-on against Garcia to the whimsical game of Super Stardust™ HD.
Two 3D blu-ray movies release
Sony Pictures Animation’s Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs on blu-ray 3D – a favourite for all ages, this animation feature in 3D is, for a limited time, packaged in the Sony BRAVIA® television box. IMAX® Deep Sea blu-ray 3D is also being offered to consumers who purchase a Sony BRAVIA® TV and register online for the underwater adventure starring Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet.
In addition to these two titles, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment unveiled plans to release the official 3D FIFA World Cup film on Blu-ray 3D™ in 2010.
Experience the complete 3D home theatre from Sony
Sony revealed their comprehensive range of 3D blu-ray players and home theatre solutions available in the Canadian market. The following are available from Sony this summer:
Sony Blu-ray Disc™ players
· BDP-S470 “3D ready” blu-ray player – currently in-stores with a suggested retail price tag of $299.99, a 3D firmware update will be released today.
· BDP-S570, the first blu-ray player with 3D playback out of the box, is launching in June and will retail for $349.99.
· BDP-S770 3D blu-ray player enters the market in August and will retail for $399.99
Just like Sony’s BRAVIA® 3D TVs, these blu-ray players will support existing 2D content.
3D home theatre systems
There are several 3D home theatre systems Sony is offering (models HTSS370, BDVE370, BDVE870 and BDVIZ1000W) to go with 3D compatible AV receivers (STRDN1010) and 3D compatible sound bars (HTCT150 and HTCT350). All of these systems will be able to handle FULL 1080P 3D video and also handle HD audio, providing customers with a total 3D Home Theatre experience.
For more information about the technology, visit www.futureshop.ca/3DTV and www.sonystyle.ca/3D.