For more information visit: www.in-stat.com
Unedited press release follows:
HDMI-Enabled Mobile PC Shipments to Surpass 300 Million in 2014, Says In-Stat
Last year we saw a dramatic increase for HDMI in portable consumer devices, including HD camcorders and digital still cameras (DSC).
Scottsdale, AZ — October 05, 2011 — Last year we saw a dramatic increase for HDMI in portable consumer devices, including HD camcorders and digital still cameras (DSC). In addition, on the PC side, HDMI’s share of mobile PCs, graphics cards, and PC monitors continued to increase. New In-Stat (http://www.in-stat.com) research forecasts that HDMI-enabled mobile PC shipments will surpass 300 million units in 2014.
“HDMI has made significant strides in mobile PCs over the past three years, since it has two big advantages in this market,” says Brian O’Rourke, Research Director. “Its small size is a better fit for size-conscious mobile PC OEMs. In addition, HDMI’s popularity across the CE segment makes HDMI a popular choice, especially for consumer mobile PCs. Dell, Sony, HP, Acer, and Toshiba all feature HDMI in their consumer notebook lines. Netbooks are adopting HDMI as well, particularly higher-end devices that are marketed as media devices, so that they can connect to an HDTV.”
Other details from the report include:
• Embedded DisplayPort will have a 35% attach rate in mobile PCs in 2013.
• 117 million LCD PC monitors will ship with DVI in 2011.
• HDMI will have an 82% attach rate in A/V receivers in 2012.
• Over 19 million HDMI-enabled digital camcorders will ship in 2014.
Recent In-Stat research, PC/Display Interface by Device, Q4’11 Forecast (#IN1105090MI) provides actuals for 2010 and forecasts out to 2014 for the worldwide display interface device market with detailed segmentation by device type and technology.
Device Forecasts are provided for:
• Cellular devices (basic and feature phones, smartphones)
• Computing devices (desktops, mini-notes, notebooks, tablets)
• Peripheral devices (business projectors, LCD PC monitors, mobile PC docking stations)
• Portable consumer electronics devices (digital still cameras, digital camcorders, portable media players [PMPs], MP3 players)
• Stationary consumer electronics devices (A/V receivers, Blu-ray players, Blu-ray recorders, commercial displays, digital televisions, DVD players, DVD recorders, cable set top boxes, IP/DSL set top boxes, terrestrial set top boxes, satellite set top boxes, video game consoles)
Forecasts are also broken down further into the following technology segments:
• External DisplayPort
• Embedded DisplayPort
In-Stat’s market intelligence combines technical, market and end-user research and database models to analyze the Mobile Internet and Digital Entertainment ecosystems. Our insights are derived from a deep understanding of technology impacts, nearly 30 years of history in research and consulting, and direct relationships with leading players in each of our core markets. In-Stat provides its research through reports, annual subscriptions, consulting and advisory services to inform critical decisions. Technology vendors, equipment manufacturers, service providers and media companies worldwide rely on In-Stat to support critical business, product and technology decisions.
About The NPD Group, Inc.
The NPD Group is the leading provider of reliable and comprehensive consumer and retail information for a wide range of industries. Today, more than 1,800 manufacturers, retailers, and service companies rely on NPD to help them drive critical business decisions at the global, national, and local market levels. NPD helps our clients to identify new business opportunities and guide product development, marketing, sales, merchandising, and other functions. Information is available for the following industry sectors: automotive, beauty, commercial technology, consumer technology, entertainment, fashion, food and beverage, foodservice, home, office supplies, software, sports, toys, and wireless. For more information, contact us or visit http://www.npd.com and http://www.npdgroupblog.com. Follow us on Twitter at @npdtech and @npdgroup.