For more information visit: www.instat.com
Unedited press release follows:
HDMI-Enabled Product Shipments to Surpass 1 Billion in 2014, Says NPD In-Stat
HDMI has become the interface solution of choice throughout the consumer electronic (CE) device market, particularly for wired CE devices.
Scottsdale, Ariz. — December 13, 2011 — HDMI has become the interface solution of choice throughout the consumer electronic (CE) device market, particularly for wired CE devices. It is found in every digital television (DTV) shipping in 2011 and in nearly every HD set top box. As a result of this current and forecasted level of penetration, future growth will come from other markets, such as mobile phones and consumer desktop and mobile PCs. It is here where its success will negatively impact DVI’s future growth. New NPD In-Stat (http://www.instat.com) research forecasts that the number of HDMI-enabled device shipments will surpass 1 billion in 2014, while DVI-enabled shipments will decline by 9.4% annually through 2015.
“HDMI has become the universal interface for nearly all advanced CE devices, while DVI, although still significant in numbers, will have serious competition from technologies like DisplayPort in PCs and PC monitors,” says Brian O’Rourke, Research Director. “There is no roadmap for DVI to upgrade and AMD has announced that it will end DVI support in its chips by 2015, while HDMI adoption continues across a broad number of devices and markets.”
Some of the findings include:
• HDMI device shipments will increase by 17% annually through 2015.
• DVI device shipments will increase through 2011 before starting a slow decline.
• HDMI will reach 65% penetration in the digital camcorder market in 2015.
• DVI will increasingly be pressured by DisplayPort in the corporate PC market.
Recent NPD In-Stat research, DVI and HDMI: DVI Declines While HDMI Soars (#IN1104981MI) gives annual penetration forecasts through 2015 for both DVI and HDMI and includes:
• Forecasts segmented into five product segments; PCs, PC peripherals, CE devices, communications, and automobiles.
• Forecasts of 25 separate applications including desktop and mobile PCs, mobile PC docking stations, aftermarket graphics cards, LCD PC monitors, business projectors, digital signage, digital televisions, SD DVD players and recorders, blue laser DVD players and recorders, audio/video receivers, game consoles, digital camcorders, digital still cameras, and mobile phones.
• Analysis of DVI and HDMI market drivers and barriers.
• Examination of HDMI, DVI, and competing technologies.
About NPD In-Stat
With nearly 30 years of history in research and consulting, NPD In-Stat’s market intelligence combines technical, market and end-user research and database models to analyze the Mobile Internet and Digital Entertainment ecosystems. The company’s insights are derived from a deep understanding of technology impacts and direct relationships with leading players in each of its core markets. NPD In-Stat provides its research through reports, annual subscriptions, consulting and advisory services to inform customers to make critical decisions. Technology vendors, equipment manufacturers, service providers and media companies worldwide rely on NPD In-Stat to support critical business, product and technology decisions. For more information on NPD In-Stat, visit http://www.instat.com.
About The NPD Group, Inc.
The NPD Group is the leading provider of reliable and comprehensive consumer and retail information for a wide range of industries. Today, more than 1,800 manufacturers, retailers, and service companies rely on NPD to help them drive critical business decisions at the global, national, and local market levels. NPD helps our clients to identify new business opportunities and guide product development, marketing, sales, merchandising, and other functions. Information is available for the following industry sectors: automotive, beauty, commercial technology, consumer technology, entertainment, fashion, food and beverage, foodservice, home, office supplies, software, sports, toys, and wireless. For more information, contact us or visit http://www.npd.com and http://www.npdgroupblog.com. Follow us on Twitter at @npdtech and @npdgroup.