Unedited press release follows:
HiSilicon and Dolby Collaborate to Bring Dolby Vision HDR to Ultra High-Definition Video Chipsets
SAN FRANCISCO & SHENZHEN, China — Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE:DLB) and HiSilicon, a worldwide leading semiconductor company that provides silicon solutions in digital home, communications, and wireless terminals, today announced a collaboration to offer Dolby Vision™ 4K UHD system-on-a-chip (SoC) technologies for Ultra HD set-top boxes (STBs) for the DVB, IPTV, and OTT markets, including Android™ platform-based STBs, with the HiSilicon® Hi3798C V200 chipsets. This will be the first global Ultra HD STB chipset solution to support Dolby Vision high-dynamic-range (HDR) technology. Based on the powerful CPU and GPU capabilities of Hi3798C V200 chipsets and the Dolby Vision HDR solution, HiSilicon can provide a secure ultra-low power Android platform with impressive TV experiences for feature-rich 4K entertainment and gaming services.
People continually pursue clearer picture quality, richer colors, and more realistic images, which drive the video industry in booming development. Ultra high definition is a new opportunity and also a new challenge for the whole pay-TV industry. HiSilicon is committed to investing in and innovating digital home solutions. We are very glad to collaborate with Dolby to provide superior performance and enable richer experiences for both operators and end users by integrating Dolby Vision into our chipset. The industry is convinced that 4Kp60 is part of the future of HDR,” said Qiu Gang, President, HiSilicon. ”With more than 24 years of experience in semiconductors and 10 years in the digital home market, we are focused on sustainable growth of operators in the pay-TV market, with cost-efficient solutions and more value-added services. We are committed to protecting the investment of operators and partners.”
“We are thrilled to collaborate with HiSilicon on the integration of Dolby Vision VS10 into their STB chipset solutions,” said Giles Baker, Senior Vice President, Broadcast Business Group, Dolby Laboratories. “HiSilicon is a key partner in the device ecosystem, and as a result of our collaboration, operators and OEMs will be able to deliver a dramatically enhanced visual experience, with astonishing brightness, incomparable contrast, and captivating color to consumers around the world.”
The HiSilicon Ultra HD chipset family includes Hi3798C V200 (4Kp60 with HDR), Hi3798M V100, and Hi3796M V100. The chipset series provides 4K solutions from entry level to high end. To build an advanced security system based on Android, the chipset series has already integrated ARM® TrustZone®, security video path, trusted execution environment (TEE), and forensic watermarking technologies. The security solution takes care of every detail of 4K security, protecting premium Ultra HD content. The protection chain can cover processes from power on, boot, Android kernel loading, middleware launching, and app running to UI operation.
Key features of Hi3798C V200 chipsets include the following:
• The industry-leading quad-core ARM Cortex® A53 64-bit CPU provides up to 15K DMIPS for the operator to deploy Android TV/Android Open Source Project services and HTML5-based feature-rich media applications for an outstanding TV experience.
• The industry-first STB SoC for DVB and IPTV with Dolby Vision HDR technology provides an immersive best-in-class video quality experience.
• The HiVXETM2.0 video engine supports 2160p60 HEVC and VP9 decoding, 1080p PIP, and transcoding capability for flexible video sharing and playback.
• A multi-core ARM MaliTM-T720 GPU with OpenGL ES3.1/2.0/1.1/1.0, OpenVG1.1, EGL, and ImprexTM2.0 PQ engine, optimized for the Android gaming ecosystem, makes it possible for the operator to provide extreme gaming services for end users.
• A next-generation security engine that supports a secure video path with TrustZone, and hardware based video watermarking technologies that are in compliance with recent MovieLabs UHD premium service-delivery requirements.
• Ultra low power for both standby and normal playback, sharing the common platform with the mobile chipset, HiSilicon STB chipsets integrate advanced low-power technologies for the design of energy-efficient products to help minimize environmental impact.
• A strong portfolio of software development kits (SDKs), including Android TV, Linux® middleware, and RDK enables operators to quickly deploy services and applications across all screens. Providing Android STBs for multiple generations since 2010, HiSilicon SDKs are stable and easy to use.
About Dolby Vision
Dolby Vision is a transformative technology for imaging that delivers a dramatic visual experience—astonishing brightness, incomparable contrast, and captivating color—that brings entertainment to life via OTT online streaming, broadcast, and gaming applications.
Even though most content is captured and rendered using technology that produces the colors and brightness of real life, much of that richness is lost by the time it gets to your living room. That’s because current color-grading standards are based on the limitations of current television technologies and require that the content be altered to match their display performance—dramatically reducing the range of colors, brightness, and contrast.
Dolby Vision changes that, giving creative teams the freedom to use the full gamut of colors, peak highlights, brightness, and contrast, with the confidence that those will be reproduced faithfully on televisions that feature Dolby Vision technology.
As a universal HDR playback solution, Dolby Vision VS10 offers unique value by combining the ability to play back Dolby Vision content as well as other HDR formats based on the SMPTE ST 2084 standard through one integrated playback solution. This enables a high-quality HDR experience on products ranging from entry level to high end by leveraging the capabilities of the respective hardware as much as possible.
About HiSilicon Technologies
HiSilicon Technologies Co., Ltd. is a leading chipset solution provider for telecom networks, wireless terminals, and digital media. It was formerly known as the ASIC design center of Huawei since 1991 and was spun off in 2004. HiSilicon has the advantage of providing end-to-end chipsets and solutions, from telecom networks to consumer electronics. Set-top box chipsets have been deployed at more than 100 global operators in over 50 countries, the accumulated volume exceeding 50 million units for IPTV and 60 million units for DVB. For more than 20 years, meeting customers’ demands is a driving force for HiSilicon. HiSilicon always aims to provide high-quality chip solutions with excellent services and support, and notably a very quick response to customers’ requests. HiSilicon Technologies will continuously help customers in their value creation. For more information, please visit http://www.hisilicon.com. Any questions, please contact with us, Tel: +86 755 28357270.
About Dolby Laboratories
Dolby Laboratories (NYSE: DLB) creates audio, video, and voice technologies that transform entertainment and communications in mobile devices, at the cinema, at home, and at work. For 50 years, sight and sound experiences have become more vibrant, clear, and powerful in Dolby®. For more information, please visit www.dolby.com.