For more information visit: www.imation.com
Unedited press release follows:
Imation’s Mobile Security Solutions Help Health Care Providers Achieve HITECH/HIPAA Compliance
At HealthAchieve 2011, Imation spotlights encrypted, authenticated portable storage and device management solutions that enable compliance and protect patient privacy
TORONTO, Nov 07, 2011 — Imation Corp. (NYSE: IMN), a leading global technology company dedicated to helping people and organizations store, protect and connect their digital world, will highlight its portable secure storage technology solutions for health care providers at HealthAchieve 2011, Imation’s MXI Security Booth #504, November 7-9 in Toronto.
Imation’s Mobile Security portfolio, which includes MXI Security, IronKey and Imation Defender Collection solutions, gives health care organizations tools to empower mobile workers while protecting patient privacy. At the HealthAchieve event, Imation will highlight its comprehensive portfolio of trusted FIPS-validated portable storage devices, digital identity products, secure portable computing and both cloud-based and on-premises secure device management software solutions.
In addition, the company has released enhanced security features for IronKey Enterprise. Managed via a cloud-based service, the IronKey Enterprise enhanced feature set gives organizations granular control of password security policies such as password expiration, reuse and regular changes. With this release, IronKey Enterprise now satisfies HITECH/HIPAA security guidelines for encryption and certain other HITECH/HIPAA requirements for protecting digital patient records by health care organizations.
“The sensitivity of patient data – and the cost of losing that data – makes health care one of the world’s most critical environments to protect with high security,” said Lawrence Reusing, general manager, Imation Mobile Security. “Imation Mobile Security now delivers a range of solutions that meet certain encryption and data security requirements under HIPAA and HITECH regulations, while allowing health care staff and administrators to work with sensitive data securely from multiple locations on highly secure and managed USB flash drives, optical discs and hard drives.”
At HealthAchieve, Imation Mobile Security will demonstrate and discuss a range of secure mobile storage devices and management solutions for health care organizations, including:
• IronKey Enterprise, version 184.108.40.206. Among other enhancements, IronKey Enterprise now provides granular control of password security policies. Specific features include the ability to prohibitpassword reuse for a specified number of password changes; the ability to set a minimum password age before it can be changed again; and the ability to set a maximum age for a password, after which it must be changed.
• The full MXI Security portfolio of hardware and management software, including secure USB flash and hard disk drives, password and biometric authentication. At HealthAchieve the Mobile Security team will demonstrate the StealthZone portable desktop solution. With the StealthZone portable desktop, doctors, nurses and administrators can take advantage of mobility where they work, while always remaining in a secure information environment.
• The Imation Defender Collection portfolio, which includes high-capacity encrypted flash drives and portable hard drives with built-in biometric authentication as well as server-based software that allows centralized policy and device control for an entire organization.
Data breaches and data loss exact a huge toll on health care organizations. For example:
• Each data breach costs a health care organization approximately $2 million over a two-year period (Ponemon Institute, 2010).
• U.S. hospitals experience $6 billion each year in data leaks (Ponemon Institute, 2010).
• Patient billing and medical records are the most susceptible to data loss as a result of unintentional employee action, lost or stolen computing devices and third-party error (HIMSS Analytics Report, 2009).
• It costs health care organizations $471 per customer record leaked – compared with $205 for organizations in general (Ponemon Institute, 2010).
“Changes to Medicare and Medicaid payments as a result of HITECH are expected to prompt a move to electronic health records. Those records must be stored and shared with encryption and strong authentication,” Reusing said. “Imation’s comprehensive Mobile Security portfolio offers a number of mobile data storage options to help meet these guidelines while maximizing management, mobility and efficiency.”
About Imation Corp.
Imation Corp. (NYSE: IMN) is a leading global technology company dedicated to helping people and organizations store, protect and connect their digital world. Our portfolio of data storage and security products, electronics and accessories reaches customers in more than 100 countries through a powerful global distribution network. Imation Corp.’s global brand portfolio includes the Imation, IronKey, Memorex, MXI Security, XtremeMac, and TDK Life on Record brands. Additional information about Imation is available at www.imation.com.