Unedited press release follows:
LOVEFiLM Service Widens Its Reach with Oregan’s Onyx Browser for Connected TVs
LONDON–Today LOVEFiLM, Europe’s largest subscription service, streaming movies and TV episodes over the internet and sending DVDs by post launches its WatchNow video service on Oregan Networks’ Onyx media browser, which will further increase LOVEFiLM’s platform capability to address a broader cross section of internet-connected televisions and set-top boxes.
The new partnership with Oregan Networks, the leading developer of media browsing technologies for connected TVs, will broaden LOVEFiLM’s current service distribution to a host of new connected devices including Cello iViewer televisions and Digital Stream DPS-1000 set-top boxes. Thanks to the open standards nature of Oregan’s browsing and media streaming technologies, the integration of Onyx with LOVEFiLM simplifies the service delivery and uptake across further internet-connected devices. Through utilisation of advanced internet standards, it will also enhance the user experience, interactivity and personalisation of LOVEFiLM’s streaming service on living room devices.
The LOVEFiLM WatchNow application for Onyx media browser powered devices is available both as a pre installed app for newly manufactured TVs and STBs, as well as a remote upgrade to existing devices in consumers’ homes.
LOVEFiLM already offers thousands of movies and TV episodes to watch online via the LOVEFiLM Player and on internet-connected devices including SONY and SAMSUNG televisions and more recently the PlayStation ®3.
Simon Calver, LOVEFiLM’s CEO, comments:
“This agreement is another significant step forward in our strategy to offer the LOVEFiLM service through as many internet-connected devices as possible, enabling us to deliver thousands of films and TV shows to our members. Oregan and LOVEFiLM have combined their leading technologies and content to create an application for an open platform meaning that we now have the ability to easily – and quickly – offer the LOVEFiLM service through even more internet-connected devices in the future.”
Milya Timergaleyeva, Oregan Networks VP of Market Strategy, comments:
“LOVEFiLM is a long-anticipated addition to our Onyx media browser offering, and we look forward to working alongside LOVEFiLM to grow an already successful service by providing an app that will further open up consumer choices and variety of entertainment.”
In July 2010 LOVEFiLM named US-based Widevine as their preferred provider of digital rights management (DRM) to extend its digital content – the technologies adaptive streaming and virtual-DVD like trick play technologies ensured videos remained both secure and at the best possible quality, providing viewers with the ultimate home entertainment experience.
* In a little over seven years, LOVEFiLM has become a leading European film subscription service, combining the benefits of DVD rental by post and, more recently, watching movies online via the LOVEFiLM Player (on the PC, the PlayStation®3 and streamed direct to TV). Customers choose from a selection of over 70,000 titles available across Blu-ray, DVDs, video games and digital streaming. LOVEFiLM currently has nearly 1.6 million members and operates in the UK, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, and Norway.
* LOVEFiLM has been a pioneer in digital film delivery in the UK since launching the first download to own movie in April 2006. The LOVEFiLM Player launched in March 2010 and offers thousands of digital titles available for members to watch on their TV, PC or PlayStation®3. For those on an Unlimited or capped package the service comes at no extra cost. Premium titles are available to everyone on a pay-per-view basis, and a number of titles are available to all site visitors for free with advertising support.
* LOVEFiLM is also available through a range of internet-enabled devices – including Sony, Samsung and PS3™ – taking LOVEFiLM directly into members’ living rooms through their TV sets.
* LOVEFiLM customers have generated 80 million film ratings and written 843,000 member reviews – information which helps LOVEFiLM to promote the most relevant titles for its customers to choose from.
* LOVEFiLM offers a range of rental options in each market with free postage and no late fees. In the UK these include £4.99 a month allowing members to have one DVD at a time (limit of two per month. Does not include online viewing), £5.99 a month for one DVD at a time (limit of three per month plus 2 hours online viewing ), £7.99 for two DVDs at a time (limit of four per month plus 4 hours online viewing), £9.99 a month for one DVD out at a time (Unlimited DVDs by post and online viewing), £12.99 for two at a time (Unlimited DVDs by post and online viewing) and £15.99 gives the option for three DVDs at a time (Unlimited DVDs by post and online viewing). Members on an Unlimited package have access to the LOVEFiLM Player at no extra cost.
* LOVEFiLM also offers a range of video games rental options in the UK market to support gaming across XBox 360, Xbox, PS3™, PS2, Wii and DS. These include £5.99 a month for one disc at a time (limit of three per month. Does not include online viewing), £9.99 a month for two discs at a time (limit of three per month plus 4 hours online viewing), £14.99 a month for two discs at a time (Unlimited discs by post and online viewing) and £18.99 for three discs at a time (Unlimited discs by post and online viewing), all with free postage and no late fees.
About Oregan Networks
* Oregan Networks provides a media browser for retail consumer electronics and carrier grade IPTV appliances, enabling delivery and sharing of Internet video services, music and photos.
* Millions of units of Oregan’s software have been licensed to leading global electronics brands and telecoms operators, including Telefonica, Sony, Philips, Pace, NTT, Cello and Quadriga. The company’s headquarters and R&D centre are located in London UK, with branch offices in Seoul and Taipei.
* Oregan participates in Consumer Electronic Association (CEA), the UPnP® Forum and Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA), to ensure compliance with rigorous quality and interoperability standards.
* Oregan’s Onyx media browser delivers an unprecedented variety of web media and social interactivity applications, putting TV at the center of connected lifestyle and entertainment. Whether consumers are looking to catch-up on a missed episode of Eastenders, rent a blockbuster movie, or watch a widely discussed YouTube video, Onyx is the ultimate destination for all viewers. If a service is available in High Definition, Onyx will link consumers to the best experience available for a given broadband connection.