For more information visit: www.netflix.com
Unedited press release follows:
Netflix and Disney-ABC Television Group Announce Extension of Existing Licensing Agreement to Stream TV Shows
BEVERLY HILLS and BURBANK, Calif., Oct. 31, 2011 — Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) and Disney-ABC Television Group today announced that they recently entered into an extension of their previous existing licensing agreement. The extension allows Netflix to continue to stream hundreds of library episodes from ABC Studios, Disney Channel and ABC Family over the Internet. As part of the deal, Netflix is also adding new content to its lineup of Disney-ABC series and TV movies.
The agreement adds to the growing selection of content that can be streamed from Netflix in the United States. Episodes from new seasons of current Disney-ABC series will be made available to Netflix 30-days after the last episode of each season airs.
Among the series and TV movies extended as part of the deal include:
• Prior season episodes of ABC current hit series “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Desperate Housewives,” and “Private Practice”
• All episodes of recent ABC favorites “Lost,” “Brothers & Sisters,” and “Ugly Betty”
• Prior season episodes of critically-acclaimed “Army Wives” from ABC Studios
• Popular series from ABC Family including “The Secret Life of the American Teenager,” “Melissa & Joey,” and “Make It or Break It”
• A wide range of content from Disney Channel including series “Phineas and Ferb,” ” Good Luck Charlie,” “The Suite Life on Deck,” and “Hannah Montana”
New content from Disney-ABC that will be added to the service include:
• ABC Family’s smash hit series “Switched at Birth”
• Prior season episodes of Disney Channel’s animated series “Kick Buttowski”
• All episodes of the ABC thriller “Alias”
“Disney and ABC have been and continue to be an innovative and supportive partner for Netflix. The diverse but always excellent programming from the different channels and networks are favorites of our members and we are thrilled to broaden the scope and extend the terms or our relationship,” said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer, Netflix.
With more than 20 million streaming members in the United States, Canada and Latin America, Netflix, Inc. [Nasdaq: NFLX] is the world’s leading Internet subscription service for enjoying movies and TV shows. For about US$7.99 a month, Netflix members can instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed over the Internet to PCs, Macs and TVs. Among the large and expanding base of devices streaming from Netflix are Microsoft’s Xbox 360, Nintendo’s Wii and Sony’s PS3 consoles; an array of Blu-ray disc players, Internet-connected TVs, home theater systems, digital video recorders and Internet video players; Apple’s iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, as well as Apple TV and Google TV. In all, more than 700 devices that stream from Netflix are available.
ABOUT DISNEY/ABC TELEVISION GROUP:
The Disney/ABC Television Group’s is composed of The Walt Disney Company’s (NYSE: DIS) global entertainment and news television properties, owned television stations group, as well as radio and publishing businesses. This includes the ABC Television Network, ABC Owned Television Stations Group, ABC Studios, Disney Channels Worldwide, ABC Family and SOAPnet, as well as Disney/ABC Domestic Television and Disney Media Distribution. The Radio Disney network, Hyperion publishing, and the Company’s equity interest in A&E Television Networks round out the Group’s portfolio of media businesses.