For more information visit: www.philips.com
Unedited press release follows:
Barcelona, Spain – With its focus on great design, stunning picture quality and the latest cinematic 3D Max technology, the Philips 8000 series Smart LED TV brings together the best in style and performance. Slim and energy-efficient, created with cosmopolitan living in mind, its seamless and pure glass front makes an assured design statement in any modern home. Unrivalled 3D Full HD features, Ambilight and high-performance sound bring drama and action right off the screen, while innovations in motion sharpness ensure that you experience every fast-moving detail. And now, with better-than-ever connectivity through Smart TV, your TV will make your living room the center of the online world for streaming internet content, and sharing music, photos and videos with your smart phone or laptop or via Facebook (available soon) or Twitter.
The best in 3D – 3D Max
With 3D movies conquering the big screen and with 3D content now available across a wide range of media platforms, consumers are eager to bring the experience into their own homes. That’s why the 8000 series comes with an integrated, high-powered 3D transmitter so you can immerse yourself in 3D Max when combined with 3D Max glasses from Philips. With its full HD resolution, 180-degree viewing angle and minimal crosstalk, 3D Max is the best of the best in 3D entertainment. Using Active 3D technology and the latest generation high-speed display, it ensures that premium 3D movie releases are displayed in stunningly realistic full HD 3D.
And Philips is pushing the boundaries of even this unrivalled experience. 3D Max now offers even better picture quality: bringing the best in motion technology into 3D with the addition of the award-winning Perfect Natural Motion, processing power has doubled to two billion pixels per second – ensuring razor-sharp and perfectly fluent motion, even in 3D. In addition, with new advances in 3D Super Resolution, you’ll experience even more brightness, contrast and detail. 3D Max delivers the ultimate 3D experience in the home – and what’s more, it isn’t an experience you don’t have to keep to yourself. The integrated 3D Max transmitter communicates with any number of Active 3D glasses, so you can now watch a 3D movie with all your friends.
2D to 3D
This year, Philips is introducing real-time 2D to 3D conversion across its range of 3D TVs. This means that your entire movie collection – even old black-and-white classics – can seamlessly jump from the screen. Philips uses sophisticated software to deliver the highest quality conversion available. It ensures that subtitles are shown at a constant depth and that there are no errors such as parts of the background appearing in the foreground. 3D depth adjustment controls also enable you to customize the level of your 3D experience, so you can choose the image depth that suits the on-screen content or your personal preference.
With one of the most comprehensive Smart TV packages available, this year’s 8000 series TV is a superconnected media portal that hooks you up with online content; stream music, photos and videos from your tablet, smart phone or laptop; and store programs and movies on your hard drive on demand. Built on the four pillars of SimplyShare, Control, Net TV and Program, Philips’ Smart TV provides easy access to a rich gallery of online apps. These will connect you to virtual movie rental stores for instant movie-nights, enable you to share your experiences with family and friends via Facebook (available soon) or Twitter, let you control your TV using your smart phone or tablet, and help you manage your content as you see fit.
Picture quality is paramount
- To raise picture quality to the highest standards, the 8000 series includes Perfect Natural Motion. With enough processing power to render two billion pixels per second, it ensures that 3D action sequences are perfectly sharp, eliminating halos and motion judder in fast-moving content from both broadcast and pre-recorded material. The result is crisp and clear images that flow naturally between frames.
- Because picture quality also rests on resolution, 3D Max’s 3D Super Resolution delivers a contrast level of 100m:1, resulting in the deepest blacks and brightest whites. It carefully analyzes the color balance of each frame, rendering a sharper level of clarity and detail.
- For the best picture quality and sharpness, the Philips 8000 series features the 2010 Perfect Pixel Engine. It combines a processing power of two billion pixels per second with a Full HD display, resulting in clean and razor-sharp images whatever you may be watching.
- The 8000 series also comes with Full HD LED, which consumes 40% less energy than LCD screens, and can render 2,250 trillion colors for more vivid images and more natural skin tones. Its intelligent Edge LED backlighting creates deep blacks and strong, bright whites. When combined with the power of the Perfect Pixel HD Engine, the result is stunning picture quality with vivid color, superior contrast and natural detail.
- For perfect clarity and motion sharpness, the 8000 series has a 200Hz Clear LCD screen. With a phenomenal one millisecond response time, it delivers sharp, smooth-flowing images – even when the action reaches fever pitch.
An enhanced, immersive experience
The distinctive halo of the Ambilight Spectra 2 intensifies the cinematic experience of the Philips 8000 series. Ambilight identifies dominant colors onscreen and projects perfectly matched ambient lighting onto the wall behind – immersing you even further into the action. Adaptive Ambilight automatically ensures a flawless effect, independent of light conditions and no matter what the color of your home décor may be. And 2011 has brought even better alignment, more precise color matching and almost seamless motion. Philips is unique in the market in offering Ambilight combined with 3D capabilities.
Feel the sound with soundstage
When it comes to immersion, sound is just as important as the images on the screen. That’s why the 8000 series LED TV comes with Philips Soundstage. Integrated into the slim stand with Philips’ characteristic precision engineering, Soundstage delivers exceptionally high-performance sound. The power of its full range woofers delivers room filling sound and purity without compromising the bass. All of this is further enhanced by Clear Sound technology, which ensures you’ll never miss a word. Incredible Surround more than lives up to its name, complementing gorgeous picture quality to turn the 8000 series into the ultimate cinematic experience.
Two Player Full Screen Gaming
The new 8000 series is also designed to support Two Player Full Screen Gaming. In 2D two-player games, each gamer usually sees their game on half the screen. Using 3D technology, Philips expands the functionality of 3D TVs to enable gamers to enjoy their two-player games in full screen at the same time. By wearing the 3D glasses, each gamer will only see their game in full screen so two gamers can sit together, play on the same TV and enjoy maximum excitement.
To complete your home cinema experience and get the very best out of your 8000 series LED TV, we recommend combining it with the Philips Soundbar.
Product features: Intensified viewing experience with Ambilight Spectra 2
• Full HD 3D TV for a truly immersive 3D movie experience
• Brilliant LED images with low power consumption
• Full HD TV with Perfect Pixel HD engine for the highest picture quality
• 200Hz LCD, 1ms performance for superb motion sharpness
• Perfect Natural Motion for ultra-smooth motion in Full HD movies
• High-performance sound integrated in the stand
• Net TV with Wi-Fi for popular online services on your TV
• Online Premium video stores and TV shows on demand
• Wi-Fi MediaConnect to play all PC media files wirelessly on your TV
• Smart USB recording: interrupt your favorite programs without missing a moment
• DVB-S and T2 for applicable markets
About Royal Philips Electronics
Royal Philips Electronics of the Netherlands (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHI) is a diversified health and well-being company, focused on improving people’s lives through timely innovations. As a world leader in healthcare, lifestyle and lighting, Philips integrates technologies and design into people-centric solutions, based on fundamental customer insights and the brand promise of “sense and simplicity”. Headquartered in the Netherlands, Philips employs 119,000 employees in more than 60 countries worldwide. With sales of EUR 25.4 billion in 2010, the company is a market leader in cardiac care, acute care and home healthcare, energy efficient lighting solutions and new lighting applications, as well as lifestyle products for personal well-being and pleasure with strong leadership positions in flat TV, male shaving and grooming, portable entertainment and oral healthcare.