For more information visit: www.quantum.com
Unedited press release follows:
Quantum Announces Availability of LTO-6 Tape Automation Systems
Nov 08, 2012 — Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM ), a proven global expert in data protection and big data management, today announced availability of LTO-6 technology* in its Scalar tape automation systems. Incorporating new LTO-6 tape drives that nearly double capacity and increase transfer rates by up to 43 percent over LTO-5 technology, Quantum’s Scalar i6000 enterprise tape library can now scale to over 45 PB, and a Scalar i500 midrange system over 2.5 PB. The higher capacities and increased performance further enhance the role of tape in providing long-term data retention, archiving and disaster recovery as an integral component of a broader tiered storage strategy.
In addition to Scalar i6000 and i500 tape libraries with LTO-6 technology, a full range of LTO-6 autoloaders, drives and media are also now available from Quantum. An LTO-6 supported StorNext® AEL Archive will be available in early 2013.
Quantum’s LTO Ultrium 6 media cartridges support up to 6.25 TB of capacity and transfer speeds up to 400 MB/second (based on a 2.5:1 compression rate), substantially reducing the number of tapes that must be managed and data transfer time. With native hardware encryption, Quantum’s LTO Ultrium 6 tapes are also read/write compatible with LTO-5 cartridges and read compatible with LTO-4 tapes for investment protection.
Continued Industry Leadership and Recognition
Customers around the world have deployed Scalar® libraries for the unmatched benefits they provide, including built-in proactive diagnostics capabilities, policy-based data integrity checking, and other management and reporting tools to save administrative time. In addition, the industry has continued to recognize the strength of Quantum’s tape automation portfolio over the past year, as evidenced by:
• A sweep of the 2012 Storage magazine/SearchStorage.com Quality Awards, capturing the top spot overall and in all five rating categories – Product Quality, Product Features, Product Reliability, Technical Support, and Sales Force Competency – for both enterprise and midrange tape libraries.
• A sweep of 2012 IT Brand Pulse Awards, with a #1 finish in every category – Market Leader, Price, Performance, Reliability, Service and Support, and Innovation – for the second consecutive year.
• Teradata’s selection of Quantum’s Scalar tape libraries and Scalar Key Manager™ encryption software as standard elements in its enterprise data protection solution offerings for customers.
Robert Clark, senior vice president, Data Protection, Quantum
“Quantum continues to bring to customers robust end-to-end solutions for data protection which include tape, disk, virtualization, and cloud services. The increased capacity and performance of LTO-6, along with other enhancements to Quantum’s tape portfolio such as LTFS, policy-based data integrity checking, improved density and high availability features, is enabling companies, including cloud providers, to evolve their tape use in exciting new ways. Tape’s low cost, power efficiency and extended reliability make it an ideal storage technology for archiving unstructured data and long-term retention of backup data.”
• Learn more about Scalar tape libraries: http://www.quantum.com/Products/TapeLibraries/Index.aspx
• To read Quantum’s Q&U blog, visit: http://blog.quantum.com
• Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/quantumcorp
• Add us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/quantumcorp
Quantum is a proven global expert in data protection and big data management, providing specialized storage solutions for physical, virtual and cloud environments. From small businesses to major enterprises, more than 50,000 customers trust Quantum to help maximize the value of their data by protecting and preserving it over its entire lifecycle. With Quantum, customers can Be Certain™ they’re able to adapt in a changing world – keeping more data longer, bridging from today to tomorrow, and reducing costs. See how at www.quantum.com/BeCertain.
* LTO-6 technology is based on the generation 6 specifications for the Linear Tape-Open (LTO) program.