RealD Inc. and FrameForge Previz Studio announced the availability of the RealD Professional Stereo3D Calculator app for iPhone, iTouch and iPad, a pre-production and on-set tool for filmmakers shooting in stereoscopic 3D.
According to the statement, designed for both seasoned stereographers and newcomers to stereo 3D production, this app saves time and budget by calculating parallax and separation to plan stereo 3D depth, helping a filmmaker determine an optimal camera rig, its settings and lens configuration.
“Shooting in 3D is an art form, one that can be challenging not only for novices but experienced professionals as well given the calculations needed to create an effective and comfortable 3D visual,” said Joshua Greer, President of RealD. “This Calculator takes away the guesswork involved in shooting in 3D, helping ensure the best configured rigs are in place for each shot and maximizing on-set efficiency.”
The RealD Professional Stereo3D Calculator is an interactive tool for planning 3D film and video capture. Designed to work with any camera and stereo rig combinations, users can select the display size upon which the content will be shown, the camera, its lens or lenses, and customize the rig and camera capabilities and parameters. The Calculator factors together these settings and reports how subjects will look in 3D to assist in determining an optimal rig set-up for the desired 3D effects.
“Like our FrameForge Previz Studio software package, the goal is to deliver a tool that helps filmmakers shoot better stereo 3D by handling the complicated 3D calculations for them. With this app, a filmmaker can remain focused on creating powerful and compelling 3D instead of getting lost in the angles, geometry and optics behind it,” added Ken Schafer, President and Lead Program Architect at Innoventive Software (FrameForge Previz Studio).
RealD Professional Stereo3D Calculator features include:
* Parallax – know the depth of a shot by seeing the actual positive and negative parallax values at any distance with the subject in focus
* Separation – learn how various objects in each shot will affect the on-screen image quality based on separation and distance from the cameras (includes “Maximum Positive On-Screen Offset”)
* Lens – determine the appropriate lens or zoom to achieve the desired 3D effect
* Shooting style – choose “Converged” or “Parallel” style to customize shots and plan post-production workflow
* Camera Setup – set camera model, lens type and interaxial range; test real shots with interactive shot settings and quickly rearrange the setup real-time
* Stereo Solver Mode gives the exact settings needed to accomplish any shot while ensuring far objects’ parallax never goes over defined maximum on-screen offset
* S3D Calculator Mode functions as a pure 3D reference calculator with interactive value tables
The RealD Professional Stereo3D Calculator is available for download from iTunes for $299.99.