RealD trades on the NYSE under the symbol RLD.
For more information visit: www.reald.com
Unedited press release follows:
RealD Inc. Reports Financial Results for Third Quarter of Fiscal 2012
LOS ANGELES–RealD Inc. (NYSE: RLD), a leading global licensor of 3D technologies, today announced financial results for its third quarter of fiscal 2012 ended December 23, 2011.
Third Quarter Financial Highlights
• Revenue was $49.0 million, a decrease of 15% from $57.8 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
• Net license revenue was $28.5 million, an increase of 51% from $18.8 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
• Net license revenue for the prior-year quarter is net of $22.0 million in motion picture exhibitor stock option expense (a contra revenue item). All exhibitor stock options vested in fiscal 2011 and RealD does not expect to incur exhibitor stock option expense during the current fiscal year or in future years.
• Product and other revenue was $20.6 million, a decrease of 47% from $38.9 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011. The decrease is partially attributable to an increasing number of international consumers returning to the cinema with RealD eyewear purchased at a previous RealD showing.
GAAP Results – Profitability Measures and Balance Sheet
• GAAP net income attributable to common stockholders was $2.8 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, compared to a GAAP net loss attributable to common stockholders of $16.6 million, or $0.34 per share, for the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
• Gross margin increased to 49% from 11% in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
• The Company’s balance sheet at December 23, 2011 included total cash and cash equivalents of $29.2 million and total debt of $25.0 million. The Company had $25.0 million available on its line of credit as of December 23, 2011.
Non-GAAP Results – Profitability Measures
• Adjusted EBITDA was $16.2 million, a decrease of 4% from $16.9 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
• Adjusted EBITDA increased to 33% of net revenue from 29% of net revenue in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
• Adjusted EBITDA is defined within the section of this press release entitled “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures,” which includes a reconciliation to its most comparable GAAP measure, net income (loss).
“Prudent management of operating expenses enabled RealD to maintain profitability during the third fiscal quarter despite a relatively muted 3D film slate,” said Michael V. Lewis, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of RealD. “Looking forward, we are excited about the promising slate of 3D films in our fiscal 2013 that begins on March 24, 2012, as well as continued expansion within international markets.”
Key Metrics and International Revenue Statistics
• International markets generated 60% of gross license revenue in the quarter compared to 58% of gross license revenue in the third quarter of fiscal 2011.
• As of December 23, 2011, the Company had deployed approximately 19,700 RealD-enabled screens, an increase of 74% from approximately 11,300 screens as of December 24, 2010, and an increase of 1,000 screens, or 5%, from approximately 18,700 screens as of September 23, 2011.
• As of December 23, 2011, the Company had approximately 11,500 domestic screens at approximately 2,500 domestic theater locations and approximately 8,200 international screens at approximately 2,400 international theater locations.
First Nine Months Fiscal 2012 Results
• Revenue was $196.6 million, an increase of 5% from $187.6 million for the nine months ended December 24, 2010.
• Net license revenue was $116.1 million, an increase of 70% from $68.4 million for the nine months ended December 24, 2010.
• Net license revenue for the nine months ended December 24, 2010 is net of $34.0 million in motion picture exhibitor stock option expense (a contra revenue item).
• Product and other revenue was $80.4 million, a decrease of 33% from $119.2 million for the nine months ended December 24, 2010.
GAAP Results – Profitability Measures
• GAAP net income attributable to common stockholders was $31.3 million, or $0.55 per diluted share, compared to a GAAP net loss attributable to common stockholders of $16.8 million, or $0.43 per share, for the nine months ended December 24, 2010.
• Gross margin increased to 52% from 20% for the nine months ended December 24, 2010.
Non-GAAP Results – Profitability Measures
• Adjusted EBITDA was $86.6 million, an increase of 95% from $44.4 million for the nine months ended December 24, 2010.
• Adjusted EBITDA increased to 44% of net revenue from 24% of net revenue for the nine months ended December 24, 2010.
Conference Call Information
Members of RealD management will host a conference call to discuss the Company’s financial results for the third quarter ended December 23, 2011 beginning at 4:30 pm ET (1:30 pm PT), today, February 1, 2012. To access the call via telephone, interested parties should dial (877) 941-4774 (U.S.) or (480) 629-9760 (International) ten minutes prior to the start time and use conference ID 4507345.
The conference call will also be broadcast live over the Internet, hosted at the Investor Relations section of the Company’s website at www.reald.com. An archived replay of the call will be available via webcast at www.reald.com or by dialing (877) 870-5176, or (858) 384-5517 for international callers. The conference ID for the telephone replay is 4507345.
Cautionary Note on Forward-Looking Statements
This press release includes forward-looking information and statements, including but not limited to: statements concerning anticipated future financial and operating performance; RealD’s ability to continue to derive substantial revenue from the licensing of RealD’s 3D technologies for use in the motion picture industry, as well as RealD’s relationships with consumer electronics panel manufacturers and its ability to generate substantial revenue from the licensing of RealD’s 3D technologies for use in the 3D consumer electronics market; 3D motion picture releases and conversions scheduled for fiscal 2012 ending March 23, 2012, their commercial success and consumer preferences; our ability to increase the number of RealD-enabled screens in domestic and international markets and market share; our ability to supply our solutions to our customers on a timely basis; RealD’s relationships with its exhibitor and studio partners and the business model for 3D eyewear in North America; the progress, timing and amount of expenses associated with RealD’s research and development activities; market and industry trends, including growth in 3D content; RealD’s projected operating results; and competitive pressures in domestic and international markets. These statements are based on our management’s current expectations and beliefs, as well as a number of assumptions concerning future events. Such forward-looking statements are subject to known and unknown risks, uncertainties, assumptions and other important factors, many of which are outside our management’s control that could cause actual results to differ materially from the results discussed in the forward-looking statements. The Company’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the three months ended December 23, 2011 and other documents filed with the SEC include a more detailed discussion of the risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially from the results discussed in the forward-looking statements.
RealD undertakes no obligation to update publicly the information contained in this press release, or any forward-looking statements, to reflect new information, events or circumstances after the date they were made, or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
To supplement RealD’s financial statements presented on a GAAP basis, RealD provides Adjusted EBITDA as a supplemental measure of its performance. The Company defines Adjusted EBITDA as net income (loss), plus net interest expense, income and other taxes, and depreciation and amortization, as further adjusted to eliminate the impact of share-based compensation expense, exhibitor option expense and certain other items not considered by RealD management to be indicative of the company’s core operating performance.
RealD presents Adjusted EBITDA in reporting its financial results to provide investors with additional tools to evaluate RealD’s operating results in a manner that focuses on what RealD’s management believes to be its ongoing business operations. RealD’s management does not itself, nor does it suggest that investors should, consider any such Non-GAAP financial measures in isolation from, or as a substitute for, financial information prepared in accordance with GAAP. Adjusted EBITDA is used by management for planning purposes, including: the preparation of internal budgets, forecasts and strategic plans; in analyzing the effectiveness of business strategies; to evaluate potential acquisitions; in making compensation decisions; in communications with its Board of Directors concerning financial performance; and as part of the Company’s credit agreement in which Adjusted EBITDA is used to measure compliance with certain covenants. Because not all companies use identical calculations, the Company’s presentation of Adjusted EBITDA may not be comparable to similarly titled measures of other companies. Furthermore, Adjusted EBITDA is not intended to be a measure of free cash flow for management’s discretionary use, as it does not consider certain cash requirements such as tax and debt service payments.
About RealD Inc.
RealD is a leading global licensor of 3D technologies. RealD’s extensive intellectual property portfolio is used in applications that enable a premium 3D viewing experience in the theater, the home and elsewhere. RealD licenses its RealD Cinema Systems to motion picture exhibitors that show 3D motion pictures and alternative 3D content. RealD also provides its RealD Display, active and passive eyewear, and RealD Format technologies to consumer electronics manufacturers and content producers and distributors to enable the delivery and viewing of 3D content. RealD’s cutting-edge 3D technologies have been used for applications such as piloting the Mars Rover.
RealD was founded in 2003 and has offices in Beverly Hills, California; Boulder, Colorado; London, United Kingdom; Shanghai, China; Hong Kong; and Tokyo, Japan. For more information, please visit our website at www.reald.com.