Unedited press release follows:
Bluetooth SIG Announces Finalists for 7th Annual Best of CES Awards
Finalists showcase breakthrough implementations and ever-expanding range of Bluetooth technology applications
2012 International CES
KIRKLAND, Wash.– The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) today announced the finalists of its 7th annual Best of CES Awards. This year’s group of 10 finalists represents the latest, most innovative products using Bluetooth technology including some of the world’s first Bluetooth Smart Ready and Bluetooth Smart products that harness the power of Bluetooth v4.0 with low energy technology to free data from even the smallest devices. The 10 finalists and six additional honorable mentions will be showcased at the Pepcom Digital Experience event at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show (CES), the evening of Monday, January 9.
This announcement also marks the kick-off of voting for Bluetooth SIG Fan Favorite Award, where visitors to www.Facebook.com/Bluetooth can vote for their favorite Best of CES finalist and be entered to win a prize package of Bluetooth enabled devices. Voting opens today and will remain open through Thursday, January 5.
“What’s most interesting when looking at this year’s group of finalists and honorable mentions is how Bluetooth technology is truly extending the original purpose of these devices,” said Michael Foley, Ph.D., executive director, Bluetooth SIG. “We have a scale with an app that keeps a record of your weight; a glucose meter that will let patients better control their insulin levels – via their smartphone. These products are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the use cases Bluetooth technology is capable of enabling.”
Finalists of the 7th annual Best of CES Awards are:
NOW – those products representing categories widely available in the market today:
• Plantronics Inc., Marque M115 headset
• Soundmatters International Inc. with CSR/aptX, foxLv2 PLATINUM portable speaker
• Ford Motor Company, SYNC AppLink
NEW – those products representing categories new to the Bluetooth marketplace:
• Motorola Mobility Inc., MOTOACTV (A Bluetooth Smart Ready device)
• VOXLAND, BeeWi BBZ351 Helicopter
• iHealth Lab Inc., Digital Scale with Bluetooth technology
• Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., SSG-3500CR active 3D glasses
NEXT – products and prototypes representing categories expected to become prevalent in the coming year:
• Siemens, miniTek automatic streamer for hearing instruments
• Casio Computer Co., Ltd., GB-6900 watch (A Bluetooth Smart device)
• Polar Electro Oy, Polar H7 Heart Rate Sensor (A Bluetooth Smart device)
Honorable mentions include:
• Avantronics Ltd, Bluetooth Audio Adapter
• Zeo, Sleep Manager Mobile
• Cobra Electronics, Cobra Tag G5 (A Bluetooth Smart device)
• Navior, nLocator for the iPhone 4S (A Bluetooth Smart device)
• Emerson Blue Wireless Easy Install from White-Rodgers
• Pancreum LLC, Genesis Wearable Artificial Pancreas System (A Bluetooth Smart device)
A record number of devices were submitted for consideration this year. Each product was carefully reviewed and judged based on a variety of criteria including innovation, interoperability testing, look and feel and ease of use. Bonus points were awarded to those products that included Bluetooth v4.0.
The Best of CES category winners, fan favorite and overall winner will be announced at the Bluetooth SIG member party, the night of Wednesday, January 11, at CES.
About Bluetooth® Wireless Technology
Bluetooth wireless technology is the global wireless standard enabling simple connectivity for a broad range of electronic devices. Version 4.0 featuring Bluetooth low energy technology creates new application opportunities for products within the mobile phone, consumer electronics, PC, automotive, health & wellness, sports & fitness and smart home industries. With nearly two billion devices shipping annually, Bluetooth technology is the only proven wireless solution for developers, product manufacturers, and consumers worldwide. Backed by industry leading companies, the Bluetooth SIG empowers more than 15,000 member companies to collaborate, innovate and guide Bluetooth wireless technology. For more information please visit www.bluetooth.com. Bluetooth wireless technology: Simple. Secure. Everywhere.