For more information visit: www.playstation.com
Unedited press release follows:
Sony Computer Entertainment Introduces PlayStation®TV for North America, Europe and the PAL Region
Affordable System Offers Access To A Wide Variety Of PlayStation Content;
Available This Fall, Starting At $ 99/€ 99
TOKYO, June 10, 2014 — Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today introduced PlayStation®TV (PS TV), an affordable entertainment system that will enable users to easily enjoy various game content and PlayStation®4 (PS4TM) remote play on their TV at home. PS TV will come in “Black,” and will be available in North America, Europe and the PAL region this Fall at a recommended retail price (RRP) of just $ 99, € 99 for a standalone system. In addition, a bundle that includes a wireless controller (DUALSHOCK®3), 8GB memory card, and The LEGO® Movie Videogame from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will be available at $139.99 in North America.
This product was released in Japan and other Asian regions as PlayStation®Vita TV (PS Vita TV) on November 14, 2013, and has proven to be popular with consumers looking for a convenient, easy-to-use gaming system. Since its initial release, PS TV has continuously evolved through system software updates and content enhancements. Adopting the same chip sets and system software as the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system, PS TV comes in an ultra slim size (6.5cm × 10.5cm), the smallest of all PlayStation® platforms that connect to a TV. In response to the demands from users in North America, Europe and the PAL region, SCE will introduce the system under a new name and color, and will deliver entertainment experiences only possible on PS TV.
Main features of the PS TV system are as follows;
• PlayStation®4 (PS4™) Remote Play
• As with PS Vita, PS TV supports PS4™ Remote Play and Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3 or DUALSHOCK®4). This will allow PS4™ users in the living room to continue playing a game on a PS TV system in their bedroom. PS4™ users can also enjoy most of the PS4™ games on PS TV with excellent operability as if they are playing it on their PS4™ system*1.
• PlayStation®3 (PS3®) games through PlayStation™Now
• PS TV users will be able to access the PlayStation™Now open beta service that will be available by the end of this year in North America and at a later date in Europe and the PAL region. PS TV users will be able to comfortably enjoy PS3® games via streaming, by using Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3 or DUALSHOCK®4).
• Vast lineup of software titles available for download or via game cards
• PS TV offers a vast lineup of over 1,000 software titles*2 from select PS Vita games, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) games and PS One classics, including titles such as Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (Disney Interactive), Minecraft (Mojang/4J Studios), God of War®: Collection (SCE WWS), and Killzone™ Mercenary (SCE WWS). Users will be able to enjoy all of these titles using the Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3 or DUALSHOCK®4). Users can download games directly to the system through the PlayStation®Store, or insert a PS Vita game card directly into the device.
• Fun and Unique features of PS TV
• • PS TV users can play games with PS Vita users through a local wireless Ad Hoc mode.
• • Up to 2 DUALSHOCK®3 or DUALSHOCK®4 controllers can be connected to PS TV, allowing users to enjoy multiplayer games from PS One classics titles.
• • PS TV will allow users to access movies and TV episodes available on PlayStation®Store*3.
• • PS TV users can access the same services they enjoy on their PS Vita system*4, such as PlayStation®Plus.
• • Videos or photos stored on the Memory Card or those videos being played on the “Browser” of the PS Vita system can easily be transferred to PS TV to be viewed on a large TV screen*5. While being transferred, PS Vita can be used as a remote controller using the video player application.
SCE will continuously expand the world of entertainment through the PS TV platform by further enhancing its services and features.
• Games requiring PlayStation Camera cannot be played.
• As of June. Includes PS Vita games, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) games, PS One classics (PlayStation® games). Since PS Vita is equipped with special features that cannot be supported on DUALSHOCK®3 or DUALSHOCK®4, such as touch screen, rear touch pad, motion sensors, camera, electronic compass and microphones, not all PS Vita games are playable on PS TV. Supported titles differ by country and regions.
• Users will need a SEN account to download content from PlayStation®Store.
• “near”, “Map”, “Welcome Park”, and PS3 remote play features are not supported.
• The PS TV system and PS Vita system must be connected within the same network. Some movie files will not be transferrable or playable depending on the network environment, video data format. Videos downloaded from PlayStation®Store cannot be transferred between devices. PS TV and PS Vita need to have the latest system software installed.
<PlayStation®TV (PS TV) Product Outline>
|Product name||PlayStation®TV (PS TV)|
|Product code||VTE-1000 Series|
|Release date||This Fall (North America and Europe)|
|Recommended retail price||USD $99 (standalone) $139.99 (bundle), € 99|
|External dimensions||Approx. 65.0 × 105.0 × 13.6 mm (length × height × thickness)|
|CPU||ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4core)|
|Main slots and connectors||・PlayStation®Vita card slot・Memory card slot
・USB connector (USB 2.0 Type A)
・HDMI output port (HDMI-CEC)
・LAN port (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX)
|Wireless communication||・IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n=1×1) (Wi-Fi)・Bluetooth® 2.1＋EDR (A2DP,AVRCP,HSP,HID)|
|Internal memory card||1GB|
|AV output||720p, 1080i, 480p|
|Sound output||LPCM 2ch|
|Power||AC adaptor: DC 5V|
|Maximum rated power consumption||Approx. 2.8W|
|Included (standalone)||・PlayStation®TV × 1・HDMI cable × 1
・AC adaptor × 1
・Power cord × 1
・Printed materials × 1
|Included (bundle)||・PlayStation®TV × 1・DUALSHOCK 3 x1
・8GB Memory Card × 1
・The LEGO® Movie Videogame from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment × 1
・HDMI cable × 1
・USB cable × 1
・AC adaptor × 1
・Power cord × 1
・Printed materials × 1
* DUALSHOCK®3 or DUALSHOCK®4 Wireless Controller and USB cable are required to enjoy this product.
* The internal memory card contains space that is available for users and space that is reserved for the system, therefore the actual space that is free for users is smaller than the total space stated in this document.
* Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Recognized as a global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes, develops and markets the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system, the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system, the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system and the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system. SCEI has revolutionized home entertainment since it launched PlayStation® in 1994. PlayStation®2 further enhanced the PlayStation® legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP broadens the entertainment experiences into the portable arena. PS3 is a computer entertainment system that incorporates the powerful Cell Broadband Engine and RSX processors. PS Vita is an ultimate portable entertainment system that offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity. PlayStation®4 redefines rich and immersive gameplay with powerful graphics and speed, intelligent personalization and deeply integrated social capabilities. PSNSM, that includes PlayStation®Store, delivers unparalleled online gaming experience to PlayStation users. SCEI also delivers the PlayStation experience to open operating systems through PlayStation®Mobile, a cross device platform. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI, along with its affiliated companies, Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and its division company, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia, develops, publishes, markets and distributes hardware and software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in their respective markets worldwide.