For more information visit: pro.sony.com
Unedited press release follows:
Park Ridge, N.J., Aug. 29, 2014 – Sony’s new PXW-X500 solid-state memory shoulder-mount camcorder offers superior picture quality with three-chip 2/3-inch type new CCD image sensors. The camcorder is designed to be a flexible 1080P acquisition tool for a broad range of HD production applications such as TV dramas, live productions, ENG and sports productions.
PXW-X500 XDCAM – Key Features:
• Multi-format Recording: The PXW-X500 supports traditional and new recording formats, including SD formats such as MPEG IMX and DVCAM, HD formats such as MPEG-4 SStP and MPEG HD422, plus XAVC Intra 4:2:2 1080 59.94/60i and XAVC Long 4:2:2 1080 59.94/60p. In early 2015, the PXW-X500 is also planned to support Apple ProRes and Avid® DNxHD® recording.
• High Sensitivity and High Signal-to-Noise Ratio: Three newly-developed 2/3-inch-type Power HAD™ FX CCDs produce high-quality pictures with high signal-to-noise ratios (60dB), while maintaining high sensitivity levels (F11 at 1080/59.94i and F12 at 1080/60i).
• Powerful Slow & Quick Motion Up to 120p Frame Rate: The PXW-X500 offers a powerful “Slow & Quick Motion” function and using the XAVC codec, the camcorder’s highest frame rate can reach 1080/120p, five times higher than the normal frame rate of 23.98p. This performance is realized by the newly-developed CCD image sensors and the camera’s powerful image processing abilities.
• Built-in Wireless Module Enables Efficient Workflow and Streaming of Proxy Content: With a built-in wireless module, the PXW-X500 can be operated from compatible Wi-Fi devices such as tablets, via the supplied IFU-WLM3 USB wireless LAN module. In addition, proxy video files can be generated separately from hi-res files and recorded to an SD card. In 2015, the wireless module will be able to output the streaming of proxy content over Wi-Fi or LTE (Long Term Evolution) networks. The streaming function will also be available for Sony’s PXW-X180 XDCAM handheld solid-state memory camcorder, which became available in August 2014.
Other Key Features of the PXW-X500
• Pool-feed input with 3G/HD/SD-SDI
• Simultaneous recording onto two SxS cards
• Flexible camera system operation with the CA-FB70 or CA-TX70 camera adapters
• GPS functionality records GPS data in an MXF file and a log file automatically, when activated
Also available from Sony is the new PMW-RX50 XDCAM Mobile Recorder, featuring a compact and lightweight design, and SxS recording and playback capabilities. The PMW-RX50 supports the XAVC Intra 4:2:2 1080/59.94p and XAVC Long 4:2:2 1080/59.94p formats, as well as traditional formats such as MPEG HD 4:2:2, 4:2:0, MPEG IMX and DVCAM. It pairs seamlessly with the PXW-X500, especially in applications like field shoots and on-site location shoots.
Key Features of the PMW-RX50
• Simultaneous Recording onto two SxS cards
• Comes with an adapter compatible with XLR Audio
• DC output for CBK-WA100 Wireless Adapter
The PXW-X500 and PMW-RX50 are planned to be available in October 2014, with suggested list pricing to be announced.