For more information visit: www.toshiba.com
Unedited press release follows:
– Bringing its advanced NAND flash memory technology to world’s fastest class of CF memory cards for high-end DSLR –
TOKYO — Toshiba Corporation (TOKYO: 6502) today announced that it will launch a new line of high performance CompactFlash®1 (CF) memory cards, the EXCERIA PRO™2 series, expressly targeting the digital single lens reflex camera market. The initial line-up of 16GB, 32GB, 64GB cards will come to market in spring of 2013 and offer the world’s highest level3 read and write speeds. EXCERIA PRO™ will position Toshiba to meet the demands of the high-end DSLR market, including high resolution image capture, sustained continuous shooting, HD video recording and high speed data transfers to other devices.
The EXCERIA PRO™ CF cards integrate Toshiba’s high performance NAND flash memory and specially developed dedicated firmware. They achieve a read speed of 160MB/s and write speed of 150MB/s4, the highest level yet reported.
The new cards are compliant with the CompactFlash Association (CFA) standard CompactFlash® Specification Revision 6.0 and compatible with the UDMA7 high speed interface, ensuring they can support high performance DSLRs to the full. The cards are also compatible with the latest Video Performance Guarantee standard, VPG-20. VPG-20 secures Full HD video capture streams at a minimum write speed of 20MB/s for compatible host devices and recording media. VPG-20 enables high quality Full HD video capture at high frame rates with no dropped frames.
The market for DSLR is expected to grow by some 50% in the period 2012 to 2015 and demand for CF cards will grow with it. Toshiba aims to capture a 30% market share by 2015 by developing high performance memory cards.
1. CompactFlash® card is a memory card standardized by CompactFlash Association. VPG logo and CF+ are trademarks of CompactFlash Association. CompactFlash® is a registered trademark of CompactFlash Association.
2. EXCERIA PRO is a trademark of Toshiba Corporation.
3. As of December 2012, Toshiba.
4. 16GB cards will have 95MB/s maximum write speed. Read/Write speed was internally tested based on UDMA mode 7 16bit (LBA48). Read and write speed may vary, depending on user specifications such as devices used and file size read or written. (Transfer speed of 1MB/s calculated as 1,000,000 bytes/s)
Toshiba is a world-leading diversified manufacturer, solutions provider and marketer of advanced electronic and electrical products and systems. Toshiba Group brings innovation and imagination to a wide range of businesses: digital products, including LCD TVs, notebook PCs, retail solutions and MFPs; electronic devices, including semiconductors, storage products and materials; industrial and social infrastructure systems, including power generation systems, smart community solutions, medical systems and escalators & elevators; and home appliances.
Toshiba was founded in 1875, and today operates a global network of more than 550 consolidated companies, with 202,000 employees worldwide and annual sales surpassing 6.1 trillion yen (US$74 billion).