For more information visit: www.displaysearch.com
Unedited press release follows:
Touch Screen Shipments on Track for More than 30% Y/Y Growth in 2010
Mini-Note/Slate OCs Driving Growth; Taiwanese Projected Capacitive Suppliers Gaining
Santa Clara, Calif., December 29, 2010—In its Q4’10 Touch Panel Market Analysis update, DisplaySearch indicated that the worldwide touch screen industry is on track for more than 30% Y/Y growth in 2010. The report includes shipment and revenue data for the first half of 2010 and estimates for the second half of the year for 32 leading touch screen suppliers.
“Despite the worldwide economic downturn and sluggish recovery in 2010, total touch panel shipments had almost 30% growth in 2009, and this segment is on track for healthy growth again in 2010,” noted Jennifer Colegrove, PhD, Vice President of Emerging Display Technologies for DisplaySearch. “Penetration of touch screens in medium and large-size electronic devices such as mini-note/slate PCs and gaming is rapidly increasing in 2H’10.”
The mini-note/slate PC category is the fastest growing application for touch screens in 2010, with 6.3 million shipped in the first half. Touch suppliers are very optimistic about this application, with more than 20 million units planned in the second half of the year. There is uncertainty about the timing, as some shipments may be delayed to Q1’11. A majority of the mini-note/slate PC touch shipments are from Wintek, who led in the segment, followed by TPK Touch Solutions.
Table 1: Top Five Mini-note/Slate PC Touch Suppliers in by Module Shipments in 1H’10
|Rank||Touch Screen Supplier||1H 2010 Touch Module Shipments
for Mini-note/Slate PC
|2||TPK Touch Solutions||1.7 million|
Source: DisplaySearch Q4’10 Touch Panel Market Analysis Update
Other key findings from the Q4’10 Touch Panel Market Analysis update include the following:
* Touch screen growth differs by region, due to the differing focus by touch screen technology and customer base. Taiwan is the leading region in terms of shipments and revenues. According to a DisplaySearch survey, Taiwan’s share of worldwide touch screen shipments accounted for 43.5% in 2009. Taiwanese suppliers, especially in projected capacitive, are benefiting from the growth in mini-note/slate PCs. Capacity expansions are under way for 2011 as well.
* China’s top touch module makers took advantage of the growing local consumer and commercial market, which resulted in their forecast shipments increasing nearly 39% Y/Y in 2010. However, most Chinese touch suppliers are manufacturing resistive type touch screens, and projected capacitive capacity is still limited to factories built by Taiwanese and Japanese suppliers.
* Touch controller IC suppliers in the US and Europe are reaching record high shipments in 2010. The controllers are critical for touch solutions in mobile phones and slate PCs.
* Japanese touch panel suppliers are facing challenges from other Asian touch suppliers due to the strength of the Japanese Yen. Most Japanese touch suppliers will have flat growth in 2010 over 2009.
* Optical imaging touch is evolving, as suppliers work with LCD panel makers to try to reduce the bezel thickness, in the hopes of increasing adoption.
* A dramatic example of optical imaging touch can be seen in the Microsoft Kinect, which will increase shipments by three to five times, if the product sells as well as Microsoft forecasts.
* ITO replacement materials are being used in touch screens in 2010.
* Infrared type touch screens were adopted by e-books in 2010.
* In 2010, projected capacitive is expected to become the leading touch technology in terms of revenue.
The Q4’10 update serves as a supplement to the DisplaySearch 2010 Touch Panel Market Analysis. This report covers the progress of the fast-growing touch industry, including touch suppliers, newly-launched touch products, trends, trade show/conference reviews, price trends, and revised forecasts for rapidly changing categories.
For more information on this report, please contact Charles Camaroto at 1.888.436.7673 or 1.516.625.2452, or email@example.com or contact your regional DisplaySearch office in China, Japan, Korea or Taiwan.
Since 1996, DisplaySearch has been recognized as a leading global market research and consulting firm specializing in the display supply chain, as well as the emerging photovoltaic/solar cell industries. DisplaySearch provides trend information, forecasts and analyses developed by a global team of experienced analysts with extensive industry knowledge and resources. In collaboration with the NPD Group, its parent company, DisplaySearch uniquely offers a true end-to-end view of the display supply chain from materials and components to shipments of electronic devices with displays to sales of major consumer and commercial channels. For more information on DisplaySearch analysts, reports and industry events, visit us at http://www.displaysearch.com/. Read our blog at http://www.displaysearchblog.com/ and follow us on Twitter at @DisplaySearch.
About The NPD Group, Inc.
The NPD Group is the leading provider of reliable and comprehensive consumer and retail information for a wide range of industries. Today, more than 1,800 manufacturers, retailers, and service companies rely on NPD to help them drive critical business decisions at the global, national, and local market levels. NPD helps our clients to identify new business opportunities and guide product development, marketing, sales, merchandising, and other functions. Information is available for the following industry sectors: automotive, beauty, commercial technology, consumer technology, entertainment, fashion, food and beverage, foodservice, home, office supplies, software, sports, toys, and wireless. For more information, contact us or visit http://www.npd.com/ and http://www.npdgroupblog.com/. Follow us on Twitter at @npdtech and @npdgroup.